Traveling alone can be intimidating and a little bit frightening. There are several fears that can run through your head like: what if I get jumped in an alley, loose my luggage or get lost? These are the thoughts that run through my head, but solo travel is a great learning experience. You learn how to thrive on your own, how to take care of yourself, and what it is like to experience the world. If you have the chance to travel, here are 7 reasons why you should try traveling solo:
7 Reasons to Experience Solo Travel
Learn how to budget your money
- You may already be on a travel budget but you become more aware of how much you are actually spending when someone isn’t covering part of the tab with you.
Meet new people
- There are so many opportunities to meet new people while traveling. Step outside your comfort zone and introduce yourself to someone in your hostel or go out and meet some locals. Who knows, you may meet your best friend.
Learn new things about yourself
- You will have a lot of alone time to think while traveling alone. There will be different situations you find yourself in and may be in shock on how you handle them. Traveling alone allows you to let your guard down and to be your authentic self. Take a journal and write down your thoughts at the end of the day or create a vlog. Watch yourself grow and change as you experience the world.
Stop limiting yourself to someone else’s time
- When you travel with a friend or family member, there are several things you both want to see and do, but not always enough time. Travel alone allows you to do what you want to do and not wait on someone else or limit yourself to their schedule.
- Solo travel can be a huge ego booster. Once you find your way around a city, learn a new language or able to drive on the other side of the road, your confidence will shine. You learn that you can do anything alone and there is nothing you can’t handle.
Gain problem solving skills
- You lose your luggage, you miss your flight, or you run out of gas on the side of the road. These are all things that could happen while traveling. If these things happen to you while you are alone and there is no one to help you, there is no need to panic. Take a deep breath and analyze the situation. You will be able to figure everything out all by yourself.
Learn that being alone is okay
- Being alone has such a negative stereotype to it. Being alone is not a bad thing. It means you are strong, independent and able to take care of yourself (You are also strong, independent and capable of taking care of yourself even if you are not alone). You will be able to eat dinner alone like a pro and think of the extra space you will have in your hotel bed.
So the next time you are looking at your vacation schedule, consider booking a solo trip. You wont regret it.