Do you start your morning with a smoothie? Do you put colorful fruit and dairy in the blender and then mix it all up? Well, I hate sounding like negative Nancy, but you are downing pure sugar and may be spiking your glycemic and insulin levels. Now, I am not saying fruit smoothies are completely bad for you, I enjoy sipping on them every once in awhile. But if you pack it with high glycemic fruits (cherries, bananas, apples, oranges, grapes, kiwis, pineapple, watermelon and dates) and a handful of spinach, to only top it off with some dairy-milk, you are only spiking your blood sugar levels. Starting your morning with a sky high blood sugar is a big hormonal no-no. It will only lead to a crash.
Keeping in mind that every body is different, it is important to pay attention to how your body reacts to sugar. Sometimes when we consume too much sugar for our bodies to handle, we over produce insulin and instead of using the sugars as energy, we store it as fat. This causes hormonal issues such as the over production of Testosterone, which leads to the production of Estrogen. It also causes weight gain, energy-loss, acne and other hormonal issues. This does not mean that all sugar is bad – our bodies need carbohydrate – but it is all about what and when we consume these foods.
With a full-time job, hormonal issues and dietary needs, a lot of trial and error comes into meal prepping but it creates the perfect opportunity to find what works for my body. I have recently found a recipe that is full of protein, healthy fats, adaptogens and low in sugar! That’s right, it is a stress reducing, energy pulsing, better than coffee smoothie! I’ve listed everything you will need for this awesome smoothie below and I want to note a few things before you head into the kitchen.
- You don’t need all of these ingredients. Seriously, don’t go out and blow your paycheck. If you have the basics, just use that. (You don’t need the Adaptogens)
- Put everything in the blender in this order. This is very important, you are using a lot of “powder” based ingredients. Make sure to water it down with that glass of hemp milk.
- Play the servings by ear. I stopped counting calories a long time ago, but if you are one of those people, I can tell you now the smoothie is between 360 and 425 calories, 24 grams of carbs, 23.8 grams of fat and 36 grams of protein. A perfect way to start your morning.
- A handful of Ice-Ice-Baby – This is your base. Trust me it’s like a Wendy’s Frosty…but healthy.
- Tropeaka Boost and Vanilla Lean Protein – It is Vegan and non soy plant protein. SCORE. (You can use your own protein of choice too.)
- Raw cacao nibs – A natural antidepressant, full of antioxidant and boosts energy!
- Maca Powder – Helps with adrenal fatigue, boosts energy and regulating hormones.
- Cinnamon – An anti-inflammatory, protects brain function.
- Nutmeg – Promotes liver and kidney detoxification.
- Collagen peptides – Bone and joint health and another source of protein.
- Ashwadaganda – Lowers blood sugar levels, helps body adapt to stress, reduces stress and anxiety, and reduces cortisol.
- Reishi – Boosts immunity, regulates hormones, improves detoxification.
- Cordyceps – Improves stamina and boosts immunity.
- Cocoa powder – Boosts cognitive performance.
- Natural maple syrup – Make sure that it is natural and organic. It low on the glycemic index chart and a sugar alternative.
- COYO yogurt – A dairy-free, creamy alternative full of healthy fats and probiotics.
- Almond butter – A healthy nut protein.
- Pour a cup of Hemp milk – A non-dairy option and contains no sugar.